Just starting!

Just starting!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Tool #11

For your Tool #11 assignment:

In YOUR blog post, discuss at least three things you would want to make sure your students understand about being good digital citizens. Explain briefly how you would "teach" the idea of digital citizenship to your students.
1. There are several points I want to emphasize to my students about being online and being good digital citizens. One should be an easy one to get across, as it's already one that we practice with TRIBES; no put downs. The online community is often anonymous and I've seen some of the rudest, most disgusting, racist, sexist and hateful things on comment sites precisely because people feel the freedom of anonimity. People SHOULD remember basic civility when commenting or posting to any site. I model this daily and will make opportunities to model it online as well.
2. Sometimes anonimity is good! It is very important to me that my students NOT set themselves to be cyber victims. I think numerous lessons will be spent in discussing just what is safe to be posted online.
3. Lastly, I definitely will not tolerate bullying of any kind, in any sphere. There have been too many known tragic cases of cyberbullying. Who knows how many go unreported? To the best of my ability, I will include lessons against cyberbullying.

The internet is a powerful place full of promise and dangers. Part of my responsibility is to help my students learn to navigate that world safely and civilly.

No comments:

Post a Comment